Friday, June 25, 2010

Birthday number 28

So today I turned 28 years old.  I know this is not a significant birthday.  I'm not a new driver, I've had the ability to buy lottery tickets and alcohol for years now, and my car insurance premiums have been lower for some time.  Nothing is important or special about being 28, but nonetheless I have been doing a lot of reflecting today.
For the last 7 years I have spent each birthday very depressed.  OK not very depressed, but not happy with myself.  I don't want to sound ungrateful, I know I have a wonderful life.  But you know how you have goals for yourself?  Or you thought life would be one way at a certain time... and then it's not that way?  That is how I feel on my birthdays.
I'm grateful for my health and for my family and for the comforts that I enjoy in life, but I get very down because I just don't ever feel like I am who I thought I would be.  Or, I haven't achieved what I want to have achieved at this point. 
When I was a teenager I would think of what I wanted to have achieved by the time I turned 25.  I thought I would have a masters degree, be living in some fabulous city like New York or Paris, have a job that I loved, and maybe be thinking about getting married.  I know that all sounds so juvenille!  The older you get you do realize what is actually important... I mean PARIS... really? 
Still with every passing brithday I have felt sad that I have no degree to hang on my wall, or sit in a file in the file cabinet.  It has been hard for me to think about not achieving that goal.   When I turned 20 my goal was to have an undergrad by the time I turned 30... at 24 that date got moved 40 years of age and the dream of having a masters was no longer in the cards.  I refused to believe that it would never happen, but I also was getting more and more sad each that came by with no more progress completed.
But today I turn 28 and I am a full-time college student!!!!  OK not right now... but I'm enrolled full time in the fall!  I completed goverment earlier this summer, I'll be taking government 2 in July, then full-time starting August 30th!  I can't begin to describe the relief I feel to be able to see the finish line.  It is still far off, but I have started the race!
Thanks to my wonderful and understanding husband I'm on the road to getting my BSN (Bachelor's in nursing) and then after that I don't know what... PA, NP, CRNA, MSN... maybe something else!!!!  I have always told Kelly that I wanted to go back to school and he always told me he supported me wanting to do that.  Seven months ago I approached him with a new dream in mind.  He listened to me and never once laughed.  Even I was suprised at what I was telling him... Me, in the medical feild.... seriously?!? 
Kelly listened and took me seriously and when I was done he said "Let's make a plan."  I'm so grateful to have a best friend and companion who believes in me and supports me. 
We made our plan and now we are "working" that plan.  We will be moving back to Houston to continue my schooling, I will work really hard to make good grades and Kelly will play Mr. Mom when he's not flying.
This birthday is not depressing.  I'm older and that sucks!  I have adult acne and I'm carrying baby weight in unattractive places... but I'm still not sad.  For me 28 marks the end of one of my great life's adventures  -  my life here on Guam; and the beginning of the next great adventure - road to BSN and beyond!
I spent my birthday getting beautiful homemade cards from Liam and Arie.  They glued starburst on the cards and then ate the starburst before I could get to them :)  Then I opened my present form Kelly and my Mom... my MACBOOK!!!!!  I feel like an official student now!  Our friends Bear and Erin watched our kids so that Kelly and I could go on a hike and then snorkel.  FYI for anyone who wants to know... don't take your Lab snorkeling!  Jet was having so much fun swimming next to us she almost drowned us!  We gave up on snorkeling after about 10 mintues and swam back to shore with scratches all over our bodies!  It was still a fun time with the hubby though.  Next we picked up some Indian Food and then ate at home. 
So far 28 is great!  I'm so thankful to be healthy and to be living on a beautiful island with the man and kids that I love!  I'm not much for getting older, but I can't wait to see what I've accomplished when I hit 29.

7 comments:

Kinsey Pistorius said...

what a great post for your birthday - happy 28th! I didn't realize our birthdays were so close together - I just turned 34 on Wed. :)
It is good to reflect indeed and I am excited about your new adventures. Good luck with school and the move back to H-town - wish we were joining y'all! :)

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

That is so exciting! I have dreams like that, too. One day, I am going back to school for my nursing degree too. Keep all your homework and I'll just cheat my way through. ;-)HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Amber Larsen said...

Why is marianne on the computer at 1230 in the morning? anyway, Happy birthday!!!! That is exciting, to be working on your goals. I can't wait to see what you do, you're such a smart girl. I'm SO happy for you!! You guys are such a great couple. I miss you guys tons!

Allie said...

Yay Aly! I loved this post. Love your reflection and how very introspective it was. I am so proud of you for setting your mind to this goal and making the plan. I love the way you and Kel are working as a team! Selfishly, I am pretty glad about the plan because it includes a move back to Texas...so I'm pretty darn happy for you and for me! I love all of our chats while the kids play, and I can't wait to do a lot more of that. And date nights too. Oh, and I'm also very much looking forward to laughing at you while you do some of your accents and impersonations. And I am a big dork, so I'd love to do anatomy, biology, or chemistry flashcards with you....count me out for government though! I love you and I am soooo proud of you!!!

P.S. Love the visual I have of Jet swimming on yall while you attempted to snorkel!
P.P.S You look fabulous and I don't see the baby weight...last time you were here you looked AMAZING!!!

Ash said...

Here's to 29! What a great birthday for you! I'm so excited to see you starting all of this!! And to have you guys a little closer!! I know what you mean about dreams...we were dreamers;) And that's good thing...we just need reality checks every once in a while! Happy Happy Birthday one month later!

Wendy said...

You are going to rock this whole school thing! I'm totally with you on the whole thing about not thinking my life would be the way it is---thought i'd have my masters and maybe be married, but not with three kids! I'm grateful for what life throws at me, but just would have never thought it! Since I'm so much older and wiser than you, I'd say, don't ever stop trying to achieve your goals. Your goals may change over the years, but always have one to look forward to. I finally finished my undergrad and will start on my masters as soon as my kids get into school (may have to work a few years also). In fact, I'll probably be in school forever--a life student I like to think of myself! Never stop working towards your goal!

Briana said...

So I just got caught up and realized what you were going to school for. How exciting!! It was great seeing you.