Saturday, April 19, 2008

Under tha sea...

So I finished my first day of the dive portion of my dive school. I had classes Monday night thru Wednesday night. Today was my first time in the water with all my gear on!!!!
Last night I could hardly sleep! I was seriously so anxious! Luckily I had a slumber party at my house so I was able to keep my mind on other things. No, Arie isn't already hosting parties... I'm the Achievement/Activity Days leader in our branch and I had a slumber party with all the girls at my house. It was really low key, but it was really fun. The girls kept me busy and they kept me laughing. When it was time to hit the bed I crashed, but only for a couple hours or so. Then I tossed and turned, thinking up horrible things that would happen to me in the water. I just knew that I would either get eaten by a shark or I would spend the next week in a decompression chamber from getting the bends!
I'm happy to report that neither one happened. We learned all about our gear; how to assemble it and put it on.. We also learned the skills we would need to have in the water while diving. We only went to about a depth of 20 feet today. That doesn't sound very deep at all - but considering we are not supposed to breath under water period - it was still a cool experience. I saw lots of really neat fish and a HUGE anemone. The only problem I had was that my ears didn't equalize very well. It would take everyone else just a moment to get to the bottom, but I had to stop every foot or so and equalize my ears! It was annoying. At the end of our day I couldn't even finish the last dive because I couldn't get my ears to equalize at all. I was really mad at first. But you can't push your ears or you could have major injuries!
Tomorrow I have a couple more dives, all in shallow water. When I get back from the states I can finish my deep water dives. Hopefully by then my ears will buck up and just get through it!!!!!!!
I have to say I'm pretty proud of myself and what I've done so far. When I go to a beach normally I won't get in water that is deeper than my waist!!! Here in Guam the water is crystal clear too! But today i was like a fish (a fish hooked up to breathing tubes and gauges).
Wish me luck for tomorrow!! Soon my hubby and I can share his passion and swim the seas together! ...Well... the shallow seas where the sharks can't get me!

5 comments:

Allie said...

You are such a good wife! I am so impressed! Way to face that fear and join Kel in some fun. Maybe once you get through it you can give me a pep talk! We really want to travel with you guys, and it sounds like we have a lot of catching up to do before we can hang with you Monsons! Love ya!

Briana said...

That is awesome that you are learning how to scuba dive. I want to really bad, but in the same sentence I am a little nervous cause the ocean sometimes overwhelms me. I really need to just buck up and get certified. But I want to do all my dives in the ocean like you and not the swimming pool :)

Jana said...

I am so excited for you! I was totally freaked out too! I swore I was going to get the bends! But I never did. I think they really try to freak us out so you won't do anything stupid! You rock.

Clint, Marianne, Sage, Charlotte, Emery and Ivy said...

How fun for you guys! I would love to get certified for scuba...Clint is TERRIFIED of the open water though. Literally terrified. He is not scared to admit that the ocean is his biggest fear. Oh well, I guess when we get around to going to the beach I'll have to settle for soaking up the sun. Dang! ;)

Amber Larsen said...

How fun! I always have a hard time equalizing, too. It really is annoying and it makes it hard to enjoy your dive when your ears hurt all of the time. I haven't been for about three years but I was always scared my ears would burst.. Trav gets annoyed bc he wants to swim fast by the creatures and not wait for my ears to clear. oops... good luck!! Let me know when you are in town; i'd love to see you!!